Historic Preservation



Living in an Historic District

For most homeowners, living in an historic district has little impact on the use and improvement of their property. State and local law require property owners to have a Certificate of Appropriateness for external alterations.

  • Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
    A Certificate of Appropriateness is not required for internal alterations, general maintenance, painting any portion of a building that has been previously painted, installation of sprinklers, or decks and landscaping that are not visible from the street. See the Decision Matrix for a complete list.
  • Historic Preservation Commission
    Major alterations (including demolitions and new construction) are reviewed by the Historic Preservation Commission in public hearings.