User Guides

Residential Construction for Homeowners

  • Do It Yourself  
    If you're the "Do-It-Yourself" type, be sure to review our Residential Construction Guide for Homeowners to determine the required permits.
  • Hiring a Contractor
    If you need to hire a contractor, check our Hiring a Contractor guide for information about licensing, bidding and required permits. Contractors are licensed by the State of Idaho, and we suggest searching their Contractor License Database before hiring anyone.    

New Business Owners

  • New Business Information
    Opening a business within the City of Boise may require several different types of licenses and permits, depending on the type of business. This guide will help you navigate the process.
  • Tenant Improvements
    Interior alterations to commercial spaces require a tenant improvement permit.

Sustainability & Green Construction